Friday, January 11, 2013

Waterford II (Virginia)

On the first weekend of every October there's a wonderful fair in Waterford, VA.  There is an art show in addition to all of the talented artisans from all over the country who display their wares.  Many of the crafts are done as they were in colonial times.  Its a great place to take photographs, especially if you are interested lovely old buildings or seeing people in colonial garb.  There is something for everyone to enjoy.  For more information go to:  http://waterfordfoundation.org/fair-faqs

Waterford was founded about 1733 by Amos Janney, a Quaker. Other Quakers followed him there. The village grew until it was the second largest town in Loudoun County (before the Civil War).  Many buildings still in use in the village were built before 1840. 
Waterford II, 16x20" oil on canvas ($350)


ART TIP - Draw Something

If you have a tablet or smart phone and haven't played Draw Something you should give it a try. Its pictionary for your tablet.  I will warn you playing on your phone is a real challenge.  I play with artist friends and you watch them draw while trying to guess the word.  Its really interesting to see how differently we all approach a drawing.  Me, I block in color and then Wago back with a fine line of black to add a few details.  Its lots of fun and its teaching me to think in a different way which is always good. 

 I like drawing/painting and erasing without any fuss or mess.  Its almost a regression back to finger painting and just as much fun.  I wanted to mention it on my blog so I took a picture with my tablet.  Nothing special about this drawing, but you can see its fun.  I've looked at drawings on the web and some of them are literally works of art.  So works of art or stick men are both great, whatever you want to do.  





No comments:

Post a Comment