Thursday, January 24, 2013

ART TIP - Organizing Your Paint

Like many artists, I have lots of paint... I can't help myself.  I love to ask people what their favorite color is and if I don't have it I can't wait to add it to my arsenal of paint.  Making on-line order... I always get a tube or two.  Of course, I rarely walk into an art store and not buy at least one tube of paint no matter what I'm there to buy. 

With so many tubes of paint, I found myself spending way too much time looking for a particular color when I was painting.  I came across this 4 part plastic storage container at Target for about $10.


I divide my paint in a way that works for me: yellows & browns; blues & greens, red & everything else, and the 4th container I put my large white tube, palette knives, glass scrapper and other miscellaneous items I carry.


I keep it divided in my studio then pop it together to take it to classes or workshops.  Word of caution.  If you have a lot of paint, the individual layers, which snap together, can pull apart when you pick them up. ... I learned that lesson the hard way.  My solution was to get a strip of Velcro and strap it around the container when I move it.  It works like a charm.


Before putting my paint into my art carry bag I put the velcro strap
around it so it doesn't accidentally pull apart due to its weight.  
This is what it looks like in the top drawer of my "art cart" 
a counter height rolling cart I bought at Ikea.


No comments:

Post a Comment