Friday, January 10, 2014

#10 - Work in Progress - Old Plymouth



 January 2014 Leslie Saeta's 30 paintings in 30 days challenge


Work in Progress Old Plymouth 24x30" oil

Work in Progress close up


Today, I started a daily painting but got distracted working on my Plymouth.  I went to a critique Wednesday night with my local art guild and I wanted to work on this painting before I forgot all of the suggestions.  The time got away from me and I didn't get back to my daily painting!  

I started this painting before Christmas and set it aside and then started the 30 day challenge.  I spotted a field full of old cars and trucks coming home from a trip to Delaware in the fall.  I got permission from the owner to take photos and was thrilled to also be invited into some large sheds where he was restoring cars.  You should have seen all the old car stuff!   

Critiques: Many newer artists are nervous about critiques and don’t want participate in them.  They see suggestions as criticism rather than what they are..fresh eyes to look at a painting I’m struggling with and figure out how to make it better.  If you are uncertain about submitting a painting for a critique just go to one and just listen to what is said about all of the work. It is a great exercise, because not only do I learn a lot from the suggestions about my paintings but the comments made about all of the paintings.  I am lucky enough to belong to another small group and we meet every 2 weeks to critique each others' work via the internet.  My paintings have always improved when I've implemented suggestions. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment